The death toll rose to 9 No. The collapse of the south building of the Sampline Towers, Reported to authorities this Sunday (27) in the Miami area of Florida. 4 more bodies of the victims were found; More than 150 are still missing. Searches continue.
Miami-Date County Mayor Daniel Levine Kawa said four bodies and remains were recovered when rescuers began digging a trench in the rubble overnight, The New York Times reported.
Of the 9 people confirmed dead, one died at the hospital and eight were evacuated from the landslide site.
Saturday’s (26) photo shows a memorial to those who went missing after a building collapsed on a site near Miami, Florida. – Photo: Marco Bello / Reuters
So far, 4 victims of the collapse have been identified.: Antonio Lozano Placeholder Image, 83, e Gladys Lozano, 79, from Apartment 903; Manuel Lafont, 54, from Apartment 801; And Stacy Fong, 54, from Apartment 1002.
The bodies of Stacy Pong and Antonio Lozano were recovered Thursday; Friday by Gladys Lozano and Manuel Lafont.
Hours before Manuel Lafont was confirmed dead on Saturday, according to The New York Times, his ex-wife, Adriana Lafont, told reporters he hoped he could make it alive from the rubble. In a post on the social networking site “Facebook”, Manuel asked for prayers that he would be found alive:
Manuel, an entrepreneur who worked with Latin American companies, left behind a 10-year-old son and a 13-year-old daughter.
Evaluation — I know One-third of the missing are foreigners, Mainly from Latin Americans. A Brazilian statement TV Globo Her son, her husband from Brazil and Italy, Not found anymore. The Foreign Ministry has not confirmed data on Brazilian citizens among the missing.
The fire affected searches
This Saturday (26) searches were carried out on the collapsed building in the Miami area. – Photo: REUTERS / Marco Bello
The search for more victims on Saturday has become more difficult – after rescue efforts in the fire and officials said they found no sign of life amid the pile of rubble.
In the afternoon, smoke rose from the second-floor hall in an area of the building that was still standing as rescue crews blew pipes into the rubble to remove dust.
On Saturday, officials said they believed some of the missing were still alive.
With the help of dogs, infrared scanning and heavy equipment, rescuers hope to evacuate survivors into airbags that may have formed in the rubble.
“The most important thing right now is hope,” fire chief Alan Kominski said, according to Reuters. “That’s what motivates us. It’s a very difficult situation.”
Watch below the videos with the moment a part of the building collapsed:
A 12-story building collapses in Miami
Video: Pictures show garbage smoke billowing across Miami Beach after landslide
The report indicated structural damage
Miami collapse: Expert warns in 2018 of structural damage to the building
The recently released 2018 report shows an engineer’s discovery Evidence of major structural damage under the pool deck and “concrete collapse” In the underground parking lot of a 12-story condo, most residents fell asleep three years ago when it collapsed without warning on Thursday. Learn more in the video above.
The 2018 Engineer’s Report, released by city officials, was commissioned by the Condominium Board in preparation for a major restructuring project to be launched later this year.
Is not immediately apparent Damage described in the report They are somehow associated with the collapse of the building, with local time being 1:30 a.m. (Brasilia time 2:30 p.m.).
Levin Kawa said officials were unaware of the report. Deputy Mayor Tina Paul called the structural problem described in the document “very dangerous” in an email Saturday morning.
“Music geek. Coffee lover. Devoted food scholar. Web buff. Passionate internet guru.”